Thursday, May 13, 2010

Keepin' It Cheesey!

Cheese is not only delicious…it’s art from God! I mean, think about it…cheese is made from milk and milk comes from animals. It’s natural, it’s beautiful and it should be enjoyed regularly!


I make cheeseboards for my clients by using several types, colors, sizes and densities of cheese. Primarily, I focus on what type of wine the client likes to drink and go from there. Cheese, like food, should be paired with the correct wine.

Some of the cheeses I like to use are Bleu D’Auvergne, Manchego, Doux du Montagne, Plain Cream Havarti, and aged, clothbound Cheddars and any cheese that has a beer or whiskey-washed rind. My personal opinion is that Gouda is overused in cheese presentations because it goes with so many types of wine. So, unless it’s super-aged and made from a blend of animal milks, I’m out on ol’ Gouda.

I am not a huge fan of yellow/orange cheddars, so most of my cheeses are white or yellowish in color – more natural with less rennet. Rennet is found in cow’s milk, but not in goat or sheep, and rennet is not exactly a good thing but I’ll save that for a later posting.

I like to arrange my platter with the Bleu in the middle, drizzled with local honey and surrounded by walnuts. I keep the semi-hard cheeses like Manchego on one side with pieces of Valrhona dark chocolate (I swear you’re gonna love it!) and crumbly, clothbound or whiskey-washed cheddar on the other side with chunks of mild Sopressa or hard salami.

Sweet on one side…savory on the other! This way, the platter appeals to just about everyone.

Another item that is a bit time consuming, but turns out beautifully is A Brown Bag Gourmet's sundried tomato & pesto cheese torta. It's the colors of the Italian flag and tastes like a day spent sipping wine and enjoying the Tuscan hillside. Promise!

I love cheese. It’s natural, delicious and brings joy to my guests and clients. I use cheese for entertaining, but also for it's nutritional value as well. Raw milk cheeses aid in digestion, and the calcium you find in cheese helps maintain strong bones.

If you have questions about any type of cheese, or how to plate and properly display the 8th natural wonder of the world...please get in touch with me!

http://www.abrownbaggourmet.com/

No comments: