Saturday, March 20, 2010

That's What You Get Fer Tootin' Yer Own Horn, Ma Dear!

Okay, so yesterday, I was so overwhelmed with gratitude for the good fortune and success of my relatively new catering company that I probably tooted my own horn a little too much! But, God has a way of putting us in our places, don't you think?

Right after hitting the "publish" button...I got a call from the health department of our county. Evidently, the very nice woman in charge of inspections, etc., received an "anonymous" letter stating how "unfair" it is that "Ashley Brown is allowed to cater without a license when everyone else is busy following the rules."

Okay...am I missing something? It seems to me that a person would want to find out whether or not the person he or she is accusing actually HAS a catering license before boo-hooing to the authorities and looking a bit douchey. The pleasant woman on the other end of the phone added that after reading the letter and visiting my extremely vibrant website, she realized that something was wrong because I was obviously not attempting to "fly under the radar in any way, shape or form."

Hatred and sabotage is not something I can wrap my mind around. So, here's what I have to say to whomever Mr./Miss/Mrs. Anonymous might be: THANKS FOR MAKING ME A FIGHTER!

As a gradeschool-aged child in a small town where everyone basically marches to the same drum, my penchant for drama and gift of musical talent were looked upon as something rather odd and often unacceptable. I would go to school dreading what might happen at recess. Heaven forbid my music teacher single me out to sing a solo or take part in a play...many of the other kids would subsequently gang up on me and create a hate fest. Hateful looks, isolation, lights turned off when I went into the gym bathroom...they never touched me, but there was always that threat. I've outgrown the fear and have learned to use my talents for the greater good.

I wasn't then and still am not special in any way, shape or form...I'm just confident in my talents and try to keep the word "failure" out of my vocab!

Everyone experiences a little jealousy or envy in his or her life. If it's directed at you, you have several choices: face it, walk away and let it beat you down or USE IT TO BE EVEN MORE OF A SUCCESS IN YOUR FIELD! The latter is the BEST option!

Everything I've experienced in my life has made me run a little bit faster...made my skin a little bit thicker...made me work much harder. So, to my anonymous hatemailer(s) (whoever you are!)THANK YOU for showing me that I must be doing something right because people are noticing. And, well, it is fair that I've been working my TAIL off to create a thriving catering business that actually makes MOST people HAPPY!

Anonymous letter writers really need to understand that regardless of the complaint, a letter without a signature is equivalent to throwing a rock and hiding one's hand.

Get a little WONDER in your life, would ya??

If the anonymous ID-10-T (tech-talk for "idiot") wants to know what isn't fair, it's dishing up a load of crap without knowin all the facts!

Anyway, here's to many more successful months of high-quality, exceptionally served food.  In fact, here's to food that will, from this point on, blow my catering competition out of the water! :-)

And thanks to Christina Aguilera for her song "Fighter" - a great anthem for strong women everywhere!

CHEERS!

No comments: