Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Not The Usual Pre-Holiday Blogpost -

Recently, I was introduced to a local horse rescue and sanctuary that is run by probably one of the most saintly women I have ever met. Forget-Me-Not Horse Rescue and Sanctuary is located between Osage Beach and Camdenton in the little area called Linn Creek. It's a drive if you live in Lake Ozark, but once you're out there, you realize it was worth every mile.

The owner, Connie Hendrix, is a lovely woman with bright blue eyes and a heart that, I'm sure, takes up her entire body. She has horses, mules, peacocks, a gaggle of little yappy dogs, and one big, black cow named Stanley. Connie told me that she is certain that Stanley believes he's a horse and, like me, she believes that these animals have souls; they think, feel, love and hurt as badly as we do.

The animals were all rescued from abusive or neglectful situations, and they are well-cared for at Forget-Me-Not. The type of dedication that Connie is giving to these animals (some blind or afflicted with very serious skin conditions that require regular medical attention) is truly amazing. The video is one I made of my new adoptee "Maude the Mule" and her friends at Forget-Me-Not.




Something else that amazes me is the amount of neglect and abuse in and around my community.

Abuse not only of animals, but of children (and women, too.)  It makes me sad to know that a human can be so inhumane and have such a depth of cruelty.  One of my former speech students once told me that Wal-Mart in Osage Beach is alleged to sell the most Budweiser anywhere in the United States...and the highest percentage of spouse and child abuse in Missouri is also purported to be in the Tri-County area that includes my own.

So, it's no wonder the Lake area has organizations full of dedicated people who volunteer tirelessly to protect, defend and provide refuge for individuals, children and animals who are the victims of such senselss cruelty. All of these organizations need and deserve support, and most of them really need money right now. The economy isn't helping anything, especially these important efforts.

Most of these organizations hold regular fundraising events. In fact, there are so many fundraising events for important causes that A Brown Bag Gourmet has literally had to back away from participating and just budget for annual donations. I wish I could help all of these organizations, adopt all of these animals, counsel with all of the women and protect all of the children and assure them that their adult life can be completely different if, once they are away from their abuser, they avoid walking in the abusers footsteps.

I am but one person, but I do what I can.

One of the things I want to do is encourage you to check out these organizations and find out what speaks to your heart. Do what you can. If you can't afford to give money, try to volunteer. If you can't volunteer, simply spread the word. Use your Facebook page or Twitter to repost information on these important causes because only by sharing and educating each other can we build awareness and lean towards change - and THAT is with ANYTHING in our lives!

With the onset of the holidays, I know that there is going to be an increase in reports of abuse. I wish I could simply share a recipe or entertaining tip, but after my visit to Forget-Me-Not, I realize that I have work to do beyond just sharing my talent for catering.

If you took time to read this blogpost, please take another moment to check out the links. Many thanks for your attention, your time.

May your holiday season be blessed.




No comments: